The groundbreaking and dedication of the new Johnson Street Church of Christ took place at 11:45 Sunday under the watchful eyes of some 200 parishioners. Pastor Randy Daw welcomed everybody to the warm, grassy field at 5230 Jack Finney Blvd. to take a turn shoveling earth.
The present church on Johnson Street was constructed in 1924. Chris Kilmer’s grandfather designed and built the present auditorium almost ninety years ago. Today, the grand son will continue that work with the new sanctuary and classrooms. Chris is president of Del Rio Construction Company.
After welcoming and vision statements, prayers of blessing were held in three languages; English, Spanish and American Sign Language. The first shovelful of earth was turned by Mrs. Helen Henson. Mrs. Henson joined the church during the early 1960’s and today is celebrating birthday number 100. After Mrs. Henson turned the first spade full of earth some 200 took turns turning a shovelful at a time until the ground was thoroughly broken. Some of the children used Tonka Toy “construction equipment” to turn the earth.
The service finished with the old traditional hymn, Standing on the Promises led by Gary Pendergrass.